Statement from ALAN Executive Committee
ALAN supports intellectual freedom (https://bit.ly/ALANif) and stands with our LGBTQIAP+ and BIPOC authors, educators, librarians, and readers in this time of book banning and challenges that are disproportionately affecting their work and literature that represents them.
We reaffirm our commitment to continue our advocacy work by:
- Providing an inclusive workshop that features diverse authors
- Promoting the implementation of anti-racist work in schools, libraries, and/or universities through the anti-racist breakout session award
- Supporting advocates who stand up for marginalized youth through the Bill Konigsberg Award
- Publishing TAR manuscripts that amplify the voices of Black, Indigenous, and People of Color
- Highlighting ALAN Picks reviews and teaching strategies for diverse literature
Our parent organization, NCTE, additionally has position statements and anti-censorship resources at https://ncte.org/resources/ncte-intellectual-freedom-center/#unique-identifier, and we recommend these resources if you are facing a challenge or wanting to expand your intellectual freedom advocacy.
ALAN will also be making a donation to the National Council Against Censorship (https://ncac.org/) to support their work against censorship.
ALAN members, we value you and the tireless work you are doing in classrooms and libraries. Please reach out to the ALAN Executive Committee to suggest ways we can assist you.
ALAN Executive Committee: Mark Letcher, ALAN Executive Director; Jewel Davis, ALAN President; Danielle King-Watkins, ALAN Past-President; Kellee Moye, ALAN President-Elect; Daria Plumb, ALAN Treasurer